Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Sidetracked! (briefly)

Uh-oh, for a moment I took my eyes off the prize and accepted a full-time job!

For some reason I took a long-term substitute teaching position in a Western Maryland middle school. I'd forgotten that the whole reason my wife and I moved out here was to follow our bliss (more or less) and spending five days a week in front of 72 angry sixth graders was not particularly blissful. After a week, I gave the principal two weeks notice. He and his staff were very gracious and supportive and hope I'll return as just a regular day-to-day substitute, which I certainly will. The particular class I had was referred to as "feral children" by one of the other teachers. It was a weird situation, these kids have had seven teachers so far this year, following their original teacher's extended sick leave or something. The result that the kids are very angry and disoriented. Anyhoo...I'm back to volunteering, every Monday, at good old Antietam National Battlefield Park.

It's good to be back!

No comments: