Thursday, May 11, 2006

Making My Daily Bread: continued

Today I was the substitute teacher for a class fifth graders for the morning. As is sometimes the case, I was able to meet with the regular teacher before she went off to an all-morning meeting. Its always really helpful to meet one-on-one with the teacher I'm subbing for. I asked her all of my regular questions including; "What are the names of the regular players?", which translates to; "who are the two most reliable kids and who are the two worst kids?". Todays answer made me laugh. The teacher replied;
"Meghan and Francisco will be great and you can believe anything that they tell you. As far as who the trouble makers are, there's just too many to list!" She went on to mention, wistfully, that she was quite certain that one day she'd be visiting a couple of her students in prison. Well, forwarned is forarmed...and a couple extra arms would have been pretty handy today.

This is the time of the school year (17 days and counting) when that final bell is about to ring and kids will be out for the summer. The anticipation gets them pretty antsy to say the least. The tone of this day was expressed by one of the kids who asked me; "Don't you ever smile?"

I actually did, as I was walking out the front door at the end of my gig.

No comments: