Saturday, August 25, 2007

Art is Where You Find it.

In an earlier post I noted how much I like old iron. Here are some shots of incidential/accidental sculpture captured at the Roulette barn at Antietam National Battlefield this very hot and sticky afternoon.

I don't know what this particular rig is, but I do remember that my parents used the same fitting as an expedient latch for the big door on our old barn back in Saginaw County Michigan.


Although American artist, Alexander Calder invented the idea of the mobile as an expression of dynamic art, this impromptu balancing act captures the animation of mutually dependent moving objects, in weathered iron, no less (for a Youtube of my wife and I creating a poster saluting Alexander Calder, please go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G28dyw_-VX8 or simply click on the title of this post).


Something about the weathered wood, the railroad spikes, and the heavy hinge suggests the word "robust" don't you think?


Finally, my favorite. The hook is hand forged, the eyebolt has no threads left and the "U" is of unknown origin. This almost suggests a monogram or logo of some sort.

Isn't it interesting how the wood and the iron become the same color?

Stay tuned for more art, and old iron...

Just north of Sharpsburg.

Ranger Mannie

1 comment:

Richard G. Williams, Jr. said...

Simply beautiful!