Monday, December 09, 2019

Numerology reveals all


This blog posted 174 posts in 2008 and stayed pretty regular for quite a few years, with lots of upbeat posts and nice photos and unbridled optimism.

Then in 2013 my posts dropped to 17 and following that, this blog, except for some fits and starts, pretty much went dark.

See, here's the deal: 

 It was in 2013 that I was informed that I was not going to be converted to permanent at Antietam, and I would be gone by Spring of 2014.  The bottom sort of fell out for me.

It was a very difficult time.  I had to scramble to find a job with the Park Service.  I went from being a GS9 Park Ranger at Antietam; my dream park, to a GS5 Park Guide term employee (not to exceed three years) at Frederick Douglass National Historic Site in Anacostia.  Antietam was a 14-minute commute...Anacostia was two and a half hours...one way.

This was a pretty bleak time for me, being in my early sixties and not knowing how long I would be employed; or even underemployed, for that matter, made for sleepless nights. Dark, bleak, and depressing.

Finally a permanent job became available on the National Mall, also a GS5 Park Guide...but it was permanent.  Permanent.  Permanent is the holy grail in the Park Service.  And people make great sacrifices to get a permanent spot in the Park Service...have you met my friend Mannie? He commutes five hours a day and his evenings with his wife are 45 minutes long.

Four months into the Mall gig and a new job was created - GS9 Interpretive Park Ranger/Seasonal Supervisor.  

I got it. 

Ideally, 75% of my job is interp and 25% is supervising seasonal, term, and temporary Rangers and Guides, though of late, it's been more like 50/50. I enjoy the work...it's worthy work...and I'm very (very) good at it. That being said, you can see how my enthusiasm has changed over the years.  

Leaving Antietam left a hole in me.

I stay optimistic. 



This temporary Monocacy gig is going to be like medicine.






Keeping the faith from just north of Boonsboro,

Ranger Mannie

No comments: