Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Chambersburg Civil War Seminar comes to Antietam




Park Historian and general big wheel in the Civil War scene, Ted Alexander, is bringing the Chambersburg seminar to Antietam in observance of the 145th anniversary of the battle.

I am pleased to be included in the proceedings.

Although I'll be in the company of some of the most recognized names in the field of Civil War history I can't get get too big a head. Here's how it went down.

The phone rang at the visitor's center and I answered. It was Ted asking if I'd be willing to participate in the seminar and provide a themed hike.

I replied I'd be happy to, in fact, I'd been preparing a program specifically for the seminar, Ted seemed excited:

"Great!" he said. "Whatcha' got in mind"

"Well, now that Paul is retired..." Paul is Paul Chiles the legendary ranger who was the go-to guy regarding CW artillery

"...now that Paul is retired..." I continued

...I'd like to stake out artillery at Antietam as my niche. I've got a pretty good grasp on the subject and have given many presentations over the years, so now that Paul is retir..."

I didn't get a chance to finish the sentence

"Paul's doing artillery. So what else can you do?"




Following in the footsteps of a legend is a sure way to shed your hubris in a hurry.

Come join Paul Chiles, Ted Alexander, and other legends at the 2007 Chambersburg Civil War Seminar

http://www.chambersburgcivilwarseminars.org/


Ranger Mannie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL, Mannie. Just when you think your bubble is about to rise, it gets burst :)

Hhmm... happens to me all the time!

J.D.