Monday, June 30, 2008

Can you hear me now?


I had an unusual experience yesterday.

My wife has been back in Michigan for the last week visiting friends and family.  At the same time I took a week off to get a lot of work done around the house.

I noticed on the second day something very unusual.  I was living in silence, that is to say, I was silent, save for the occasional "ouch" or "oops" or "mmmmm...pepperoni".  I wasn't saying anything, to anyone.

After my six days off were up I returned to the battlefield yesterday, checked the schedule and found that I had the 10:00 a.m. tour...that's two hours of talking to a crowd, mostly outdoors.

My voice started to conk while I was announcing the tour over the PA.

"Uh-oh", I thought.

The tour went well but I could tell the pipes were only working at about 40%.  What a funny thing.  I guess the muscles that create voice need regular exercise just as any other muscles do.

Though the last thing I need is an excuse to talk,  just ask my coworkers.

Yours, in modulation,

Mannie

No comments: