Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Buzz

I make it a point to never endorse products on this blog - ever, however I will, from time to time over this sesquicentennial period take a look at how others are building a buzz related to the 150th observance of the Battle of Antietam.

A gentleman named J.P. Terry  showed me a project he's been working on which provides an interesting way to bring an electronic aspect to a battlefield ramble.

Check it out here, it is pretty cool:
http://www.antietam150.com/Antietam/index.aspx
Note that this app has just been nominated for the Apple 2012 Design Award, and that's cool too!

If I could afford (or figure out how to use) an i-pad or an i-phone this could be a lot of fun.

I think that  anything that sparks an interest in the Civil War, especially among younger people, is a good thing.  Books are one way of accessing information and certainly have their appeal, especially to people like me.  Electronics however are a wonderful way to bring a new and more visual dimension to the exploration of the subject, especially for the i-hipster generation.

However you get your information, through books, or electronically, nothing compares to actually roaming the battlefield.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Civil War Trust has an app for the Devils Den. I saw a kid in the museum the other day taking a photo with an iPad. I have to admit I was intrigued.

John C. Nicholas