Thursday, July 04, 2013

Whew!


For the last four days I was working up at Gettysburg as a member of the Park Service's social media team, documenting the Gettysburg sesquicentennial observance for facebook, twitter, Youtube, etc.

It was richly rewarding: I got to participate in a once in a lifetime (actually twice for me) event, provide access to the event for people who weren't able to be there in person,  do a lot of photography, and to become friends with a really great crew of technology savvy, and fun, young people.

Go here for full albums of the event:

Over the next few days I'll be posting photos of the four day observance...


as soon as I catch up on my sleep that is.

Meanwhile, here's a glimpse of the folks I was working with.

It all kicked off with a group picture:


from left to right are team members Luke, Garrett, Shannon, regional NPS director Reidenbach, me, Gettysburg superintendent Kirby, NPS director Jarvis, Lindsey, Michael, Danielle, Buddy, Nate, and our boss Jason.  What a great crew.




My job was to race around taking pictures of events


Those are my hands

We operated out of a small office near the visitor center.  Computers and equipment were everywhere including in all of the extra chairs, it was hard to find a place to rest my increasingly weary bones.



All of these young people are very competent and work to a high degree of excellence; if they represent our future, this country has nothing to worry about.


It was nice that they let me participate, even though the technology had my head spinning!

More soon.

From just north of Sharpsburg,

Mannie


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mannie, you did a great job. Sad that I couldn't be there in person, I found the Gettysburg Facebook page and spent my lunch hour on the third clicking through the slideshow of the events. I looked for you; now I know why I never found you. (And I noticed the 3d Mich Co F picture and wondered who would pick that t-shirt out of a crowd. I'm assuming that was you.) I love the photos and I am very thankful that I could witness it all online from afar.

Nick Kwiek
Bethel, Alaska