Friday, February 07, 2020

Behind the scenes in the historic Worthington House

On Wednesday a group of historic structures conservation students from the NPS came  to check out the Worthington house.  I was supposed to open the door for them.  In the telephone meeting beforehand, I asked their fearless leader how long he wanted my program to be.  He responded that there would be no program but they were there to just check out the house.  At that I informed him the the program will be fifteen minutes in length, as it was...and I had their complete and enthusiastic attention as I told the story of Lew Wallace at Monocacy. 

It was incredibly satisfying for me.

Then I opened the door and let them prowl around.

I don't know much about the house, so I lifted the following from the Historic Structures Report that was written in the late '90s.

[The Worthington house is a] two-story five-bay brick dwelling with an ell extension in the rear.  Considered influenced from Greek Revival and Italiante styles from the third quarter of the 19th century.  Built between 1847 and 1852.

Served as a hospital after the battle.  Was the seen of action in the late morning and early afternoon phase of the battle.  

Here's a little hand-held video I did for this post, touring the first floor.  I'll let this video provide the bulk of this post's narrative.

The kitchen is a post-war addition to the house.  This stove remains from the 1960s when the building was used to house cannery workers...much to the detriment of the house.

A colleague told me that seven layers of linoleum have been uncovered.

Now down to the cellar and a visit with little Glenn Worthington...eyewitness to "The Battle that Saved Washington."

These are pieces of the original the ground and out of the damp, awaiting better days.

The far window on the left is the one from which Glenn watched the progress of the battle.  While his    family and their enslaved servants shuddered in fear, Glenn was thrilled with the spectacle of war.

Glenn's window

Glenn's view.

And finally, a short video that leaves much to be desired (better luck next time).

So there you have it...a whirlwind tour.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  I only have three weeks remaining at Monocacy, and I'm going to relish every minute.

See you next time with more cool Monocacy stuff.

Ranger Mannie

No comments: