Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Winter Season

The holiday season, with all of the family groups visiting the park is now past. The Park rangers now have the opportunity to start catching up on tasks that have been deferred through the busy season of spring, summer, and fall. A variety of projects are underway over this very productive winter. New trails are being cleared and the accompanying brochures are in production, new programs are being written, living history groups are getting scheduled for the big 145th battle anniversary next September, and the Junior Ranger and teacher packets are being redesigned...that's where I come in.

One of the talents that lurk in my resume is that of "cartoonist". I've been cartooning since highschool. I've been able to utilize this talent in museum settings, clasrooms, and newspapers. Now, I've been tapped to illustrate our junior ranger workbooks as well as our teacher packets...the pleasure is all mine.

I'll post these illustrations soon, until then, here is one drawing that I did in response to a request to "make a better picture of a park ranger."

The result is, I hope, not too self-indulgent, but I think you'll recognize him.

Best wishes,

Ranger Mannie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, those aren't regulation Ranger pants!