Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day 2008



Saturday saw the 141st annual celebration in Sharpsburg Maryland, honoring the Union dead of the American Civil War as well as all fallen American soldiers since.

If you want to experience small town America at its best, then Sharpsburg is the place to be on Memorial Day. I captured these images on what was an absolutely perfect day in the valley. I hope to have a Youtube posted of the parade within a few weeks.


The color scheme of the day is strictly red, white, and blue.


A group of veterans at the presentation of wreaths in the town square.


Music filled the air as...


the Rohersville band serenaded passersby on the main street.


Sharpsburg always seems to feel like everyone's hometown on Memorial Day. Everybody grabbed a comfy spot on the curb, lawn chair, front porch, or stone wall to enjoy the PARADE.


The U.S. Air Force provided an honor guard, and they looked stunning! CORRECTION!!!
I am just informed that these are not Air Force personnel they are airmen from the 167th Airlift Wing, Air National Guard, Martinsburg, West Virginia. Their motto is "Mountaineer pride, worldwide!"

(thanks to Ranger (Lt. Colonel) Keith for setting me straight on that one)


The parade had participants of all ages either walking,


riding,

marching, or...

driving! (see the short movie on these guys at the bottom of this page)

Coast Guard Lieutenant, Mike Toth, was the keynote speaker at the wreath laying ceremony in the National Cemetery after the parade. Earlier this year I had helped his son with his National History Day project (he took third place in the county!).

The Boonsboro High School Marching Band (Go Warriors!) as usual, looked and sounded smashing.


Here comes that very long line of every little league team in the Cumberland Valley.


Still smiling and only two blocks to go.


Once a Marine, always a Marine.


Park Service employee and Sharpsburg resident Ike Mumma, (yes, as in Mumma Farm) notes that his late father Wilmer attended 82 Sharpsburg Memorial Day parades. Wilmer Mumma is a guy I wish I could have met, though I'm very happy to know and work with Ike, a really great guy.


As the day came to an end "Old Simon" presided over the wreath laying at the National Cemetery. With that another Memorial Day celebration becomes Sharpsburg history and another battlefield season opens. Its going to be a great summer!

See you at the park.

Ranger Mannie

Oh, and below is my short movie "Shriner Thunder" I hope you enjoy it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mannie,

I wish I could have been there but I had my own little thrill this week-I got to do the cemetery programs at the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg on Memorial Day. I had to miss the town parade though-somebody has to work the visitor desk. Are you back on full time yet?

John C. Nicholas

Anonymous said...

Hey Mannie -

The exceptional color guard was made up of airmen from the 167th Airlift Wing, Air National Guard, Martinsburg, West Virginia.

"Mountaineer Pride, Worldwide"

Keith Snyder